Thursday, February 12, 2009

January 15, 2009

Barack Obama has been elected the first African-American president of the United States of America.  As a mom of a recently adopted son from Ethiopia I celebrate this important piece of history but I also have to pose the question,

“Do you think Martin Luther King’s dream came true?”

My job description as Noah’s mom changed yesterday.  In a brief exchange he had with a student on campus my title changed from guiding this happy go lucky little man into the ways of American living into his protector... his champion. 

We were leaving the school when Noah called out to a familiar face walking about 20 feet in front of us.  Noah yelled “Hello ______”.  No answer.  Noah called again, “Hello _____”.  Still no answer.  Once more time, Noah yelled, “Hello ______”.  The little boy turned around and said, “Why should I say hi to you, African.”

Of course I was stunned and shocked.  I couldn’t believe what I had heard.  Immediately I sped up my steps to walk stride for stride with the boy who was walking with his older sister.  I asked the sister if she had heard what her brother had said.  She said no.  She asked him.  He said he couldn't remember.  I repeated what I had heard. “Why should I say hi to you , African?”  He clammed up.  She asked him again.  He again claimed he could not remember.   The sister was clearly upset with her brother and regardless of whether she heard it or not she made him apologize. 

On my way down to pick up my other children from the middle school I called Noah’s school, somewhat taken back at what I should really do.  What was my role?  I gave them the facts of what just happened.  Before I got back into the house after picking up everyone the phone was ringing.  It was the school.  The boy’s sister was extremely upset over what her brother had said and was in tears when she got home.  His mom called the school to get my phone number so we could talk.  The school would not give out my number to her but she gave permission for them to give me her number.  I called her.  She was very apologetic, very remorseful for what her son had said.  “Why should I say hi to you, African?”  I accepted her apology.  

The following morning his teacher gave the child a stern talking to as well as he had a private conversation with the school counselor. My guess is he is in the process of  ‘getting it’ now.  As for Noah, although his language is still lacking in the understanding of every word spoken to him, he did understand the tone of the child’s voice as being negative.  He also understood that along with that negative tone he heard the word African.   However, instead of harboring angry feelings toward the boy, Noah drew him a picture of a flower and a rainbow and dictated to the school counselor three simple words, “I forgive you.”  

So I pose the question again, “Do you think Martin Luther King’s dream came true?”  Perhaps on the political stage where the world is watching...yes.  For a child from Ethiopia who up until last week had never even heard of Martin Luther King Jr. but innately walks the walk that MKL embraced 40 years ago…yes.  But at the level my African son has to walk every day of his life...that is yet to be determined.

2 comments:

  1. This post filled my eyes with tears:(. I wish we could protect our kids from all of the hurtful comments and intentions!! I think you are doing a great job as a mom and negotiating what our "role" should be. I love your blog!!:)
    Becky (mom to Tonito (China), Vivi, Maya and soon to be a little boy from ET)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are no words....as tears stream down my face...our children can change the world...we must continue to believe in this! :) Thanks for your beautiful blog...it makes me feel closer to my Yonas as I read through each and every post.

    ReplyDelete